The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann fund provides graduate school fellowships in any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture, or other formal professional training), as well as funding independent research or study projects.
Deadline: Application materials are due to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs online application system by Monday, November 28, 2016.
Fellowships are restricted to graduate students who are United States citizens attending an accredited and designated institution of higher education within the United States (UVa is a designated institution for this fellowship.) Applications must be submitted through the university where the student is pursuing graduate studies. UVa is permitted to submit three nominations for consideration; nominees are selected through an internal process at UVa.
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Be a student pursuing a graduate degree in any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture, or other formal professional training)
- Possess an outstanding undergraduate record
- Have a demonstrated need for financial assistance
- Be a U.S.. citizen
The following materials are required for the internal nominations process:
- A completed and signed application (DO NOT INCLUDE SSN for Internal Competition);
- One copy of your personal vitae or résumé;
- Copies of undergraduate/graduate transcript(s) (unofficial copies are satisfactory for University competition)
- Copies of graduate exam test scores, if taken (unofficial copies are satisfactory for University competition)
Statement of Purpose (up to 3 pages, double spaced)
- Must include a 10-15 line abstract at the top as part of the 3 pages.
- Abstract must explain your degree program, giving emphasis to its eventual intellectual impact on your field of study.
- Statement must consider the relationship between graduate level study and intended personal and /or professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation (one from the nominee’s advisor and one from a professor with whom the nominee has worked)
- Financial aid summary from the financial aid section of the “Student Center” in the Student Information System (SIS).
Individuals selected in the internal nomination process will also be required to submit the following materials to the Graduate Studies Office no later than 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 18, 2017:
- An additional letter of recommendation from the student's dean or department chair
- A copy of the nominee's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Copies of federal income tax returns for the prior two years (including spouse's returns, if applicable)
- Official/certified copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Official/certified copies of graduate test exam scores, if applicable
Deadlines: Application materials are due to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs online application system by Monday, November 28, 2016. Electronic submission to Virginia InfoReady is required. Applications received after the 11/28/16 deadline will not be considered.
We anticipate announcing the selected nominee by Friday, December 16, 2016 by 5:00 p.m.. The selected nominee will be required to submit the remaining materials to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs Office, by 5:00 p.m.. on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017 (for transmittal to the Liebmann Fund by Monday, Jan. 23, 2017).