This 3-session workshop series is intended to introduce prospective applicants to the GRFP and assist them in preparing the content of their applications. Although the GRFP is due in mid-October, there is limited time to strengthen your application during fall semester alone. This workshop series can help!
Together, we will identify the strengths and weaknesses of your application package, talk through the review process, and discuss with a panel of previous GRFP winners. You will leave this workshop series with an outline of your application essays and list of suggested tasks to strengthen your GRFP application.
Current graduate students eligible to apply for the GRFP in Fall 2020
- U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents
- Enrolled in a full-time, research-based graduate degree program in a science, social science, engineering, STEM education, or technology field
- First or second year of graduate school
- Individuals pursuing a master's degree simultaneously with the bachelor's degree (joint bachelor's-master's degree) must have completed three (3) years in the joint program and are limited to one application to GRFP; they will not be eligible to apply again as a doctoral degree student.
- Individuals holding joint bachelor's-master's degrees currently enrolled as first-year doctoral students, who have not previously applied as graduate students and enrolled in the doctoral program the semester following award of the joint degree, may apply as first-year doctoral students only.
- Not applied to GRFP previously during graduate school
Session 1: Introduction to Fellowships and NSF GRFP
Session 2: Awardee Panel & GRFP Essay Specifics
Session 3: Discussion with GRFP reviewer, Application Planning, and Peer Swap
Videos and resources available in the UVA Collab site for this workshop series
If you're considering applying to the GRFP, this is worth reading all the way through!