The Will of Dolores Zohrab Liebmann created a perpetual charitable trust designated as “The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund” for the purpose of funding advanced education and graduate study grants, which must be carried out entirely in the United States of America. The purpose of these grants is to attract and support students with outstanding character and ability who hold promise for achievement and distinction in their chosen fields of study. The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowships are to be awarded only to candidates who have outstanding undergraduate records, have demonstrated a need for financial assistance, are citizens of the United States of America, are enrolled in accredited colleges and universities in the United States and have received baccalaureate degrees.
These fellowships provide an $18,000 stipend, plus tuition costs (no fees), for one year (with the possibility of renewal for a maximum of three years total).
Graduate students in any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture, or other formal professional training) with an outstanding undergraduate record and demonstrated financial need.
Note: Applicants must be U.S. citizens of any national descent or background
Strong applicants are advanced enough to describe a compelling research project (most often dissertation) but still have enough time remaining that they can take advantage of all the fellowship benefits (including fellowship renewal).
Members of the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (OGPA) and PhD+ team are eager and available to assist UVA applicants as they draft their application materials, specifically the Statement of Purpose. If you have questions or would like an internal review of your near-final application materials, we encourage you to contact Drs. Kelly Oman and Sam Lake, Assistant Directors of Research Communication.
Internal Application Deadline: Friday, November 18, 2022, 11:59 pm.
Internal applicants will be notified in early December.
External applications are due in mid-January 2023.
Internal Application Materials
- Application Form without SSN (available here)
- Applicant Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcript(s) – Unofficial copies are satisfactory for University competition
- Copies of graduate exam test scores, if taken – Unofficial copies are satisfactory for University competition
- Statement of purpose – 3 pages long (double-spaced), which considers the relationship between your graduate level study and your intended personal and/or professional goals. This MUST include a 10-15 line abstract at the top that explains in layman’s terms the essence of your proposed topic of study or dissertation, the methodology of its treatment and its anticipated impact on your field of study
- Two letters of recommendation from professors who have taught or worked closely with you – typically applicant’s advisor and one additional professor
- Financial aid summary from University or other applicable source