The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship Program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of 6–12 months. All research and travel must be completed by March 31, 2023.
This programs funds projects that deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula. Projects focusing on Western Europe are not supported.
Please read the highlighted sections of the Fulbright-Hays DDRA Instructions (abbreviated to focus on student requirements). For your application to be reviewed, you must follow these instructions exactly.
- Citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States
- A graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution
- Planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation
- Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project
By 9 a.m., April 1, 2021 –
- Complete (but do not submit) your application in G5
- Notify Cate Cunningham (cc9ha) that your G5 application is ready for UVA review
Note: This is a hard deadline; your application must be reviewed by UVA institutional officials in advance of the external deadline.
- G5 e-Application (Form 022), which includes:
- Application information
- Proposed dissertation title
- Dissertation abstract
- List of previous overseas travel
- Certification by physician or certified nurse practitioner
- Budget request - Use CGAS-provided template
- Curriculum Vitae
- A narrative*
- A bibliography - No more than 2 pages
- Host Country Supporting Materials – Examples: letters of invitation, affiliation, etc.; Though not required for the application, this information serves only to strengthen an application
- Unofficial Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts – Combine into 1 document and remove personally identifying information; Use these to demonstrate the applicant’s language and area studies academic training
- References – in G5, initiate the email to referees
- Language Reference for each language of research – in G5, initiate the email to referee(s)
*The application narrative is where you, the applicant, address the selection criteria that reviewers use to evaluate your application. Limit the application narrative to no more than 10 pages, and use the following standards:
- A “page” is 8.5″ x 11″, on one side only, with 1″ margins at the top, bottom, and both sides.
- Double space (no more than three lines per vertical inch) all text in the application narrative, including titles, headings, footnotes, quotations, references, and captions, as well as all text in charts, tables, figures, and graphs.
- Use a font that is either 12 point or larger, or no smaller than 10 pitch (characters per inch).
- Use one of the following fonts: Times New Roman, Courier, Courier New, or Arial.
Note: Please refer to Student Instructions for Form 022 starting on page 18 of the Abbreviated Instructions.
Note: These are the latest recommended dates. Applicants are welcomed and encouraged to complete tasks early!
By Friday, February 26, 2021 –
- Register in G5 e-application system and start application
- Contact references
- Notify Katie Pelland (via email) in the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (OGPA) of intention to apply
By Friday, March 5, 2021 –
- Initiate emails to references and language references
- Reminder referees that their forms must be uploaded by the UVA deadline of 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 1, 2021 (not the deadline listed in G5)
By Monday, March 22, 2021 –
- Complete draft of your narrative
- Then, ask others (e.g. peers, advisor, Katie in OGPA) to review your draft (using the provided technical review form)
By 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 1, 2021 (REQUIRED) –
- Application complete in (not submitted) in G5
- Email Cate Cunningham (cc9ha) in CGAS Pre-Award with your Excel budget, human subjects narrative (if applicable), and note that your G5 application is ready for UVA review